在思培听力中，听力原文会利用以下方式表示否定信息。 1. 在思培听力中，用的最多的表达否定就是but连接词 Ø Sorry，but
This is a way to introduce an apology. It's good for use with friends, but also with people you're not as close with. It's used to apologize for something that's you feel a little bit bad about, but not for really serious mistakes. e.g. I really need to see one right away. Sorry, but you’ll have to take a number and wait to be called. Ø But e.g. but he said he can’t do much about it because it’s already been posted. 表达否定的连接词还有 Ø Neither... nor... They're neither urban nor rural.
2. 在思培听力中，还有一种广泛的否定是使用情态动词/系动词的否定式 won't shouldn't can't isn’t couldn’t 需要特别注意，这些词有同学会认为，这肯定能听出来，很简单。如果写出来看，是很简单，但是放在听力中，在语速较快的情况下，很多同学就不一定能听出来。 Ø But couldn’t I stay longer? Ø Couldn’t we stop somewhere else instead? Ø Couldn’t we all just go where we want and meet back at the bus at, say, one o’clock? Ø It shouldn’t be too long, though. Ø I wouldn’t be happy either. Ø Haven't you noticed that some of the stock has been disappearing more quickly than usual?
3. 表示否定含义的动词 Ø Doubt to be uncertain about; consider questionable or unlikely; hesitate to believe. e.g I doubt an hour will be enough time. Ø Assume Suppose to be the case, without proof assume用于过去式时，可以表示否定信息 e.g. I assumed that since no one was at the counter when I came in, I could just walk up. 我想当然认为，没有人在柜台旁，我就可以直接过去。 这句话暗含事实上，不是这样，每个人都需要有一个号，等到自己的号的时候，才可以过去。 Ø Exclude Remove from consideration. e.g. City's after-school daycares to exclude kids under 6 This possibility cannot be completely excluded. Ø fail Be unsuccessful in achieving one's goal e.g. Ottawa plans to fine companies that fail to report data breaches Ø avoid Keep away from or stop oneself from doing (something) e.g. BC Ferries fast tracks new vessel to avoid long weekend travel mayhem
4. 表示否定的副词 Ø Never At no time in the past or future; not ever. e.g. I’ve never been to this walk-in clinic before. Ø not yet Used to describe that something is expected to happen but has not for the moment. Ø Not as much as e.g. Not as much as I hoped Ø scarcely Only just; almost not. e.g. I could scarcely recognize him. Ø barely Only just; almost not. e.g. He is so weak that he can barely stand up. Ø seldom Not often; rarely. e.g. He seldom eats breakfast. Ø rarely Not often; seldom. e.g. If something rarely happens, it does not happen very often.
5. 表示否定的形容词 Ø Hard e.g. it’s hard to say exactly it can be really hard to work weekends when you have family responsibilities Ø 带否定前缀的词表达否定的含义 下面的前缀可以表示否定信息。 ² im (impolite)， ² in (incorrect)， ² dis (disagree)， ² un (unnecessary)， ² il (illegal)， ² ir (irrelevant) ² mis(misleading)， ² non(non-existence)， ² anti( anti-war) ² counter（counterattack) ² ab( abnormal)
Ø 带有否定后缀的词表达否定含义 ² less (paperless) ² free (smoke-free) ² proof (waterproof)
6. 表示否定的代词 Ø Nothing Not anything; no single thing. e.g. There is nothing permanent about anything positive or negative in our lives. Ø none Not any. e.g. None could produce a simple, tidy answer. Ø nobody No person; no one. e.g. Nobody likes to live in that desert region.
7. 表示否定含义的表达式 Ø Hold on Wait; stop e.g. Hold on, Brenda. Tom didn’t seem particularly excited when we offered him the opportunity to start pitching. Ø why would you say that? If you say "why would you say that", suggests that it's something that the person wouldn't expect the other person to say, and is disappointed, not necessarily doubt.